Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fear

Every so often, I re-read something I wrote in the past and I learn from myself. Today is one of those days...

Because of recent events, I am at a fork in the road. But there aren't two paths I can choose from, there are a million. The road ahead of me is open, I can go anywhere and do anything. In a way, I feel like a kid who just graduated high school and now has every possibility imaginable open to them.

I had planned to move elsewhere, but no definite decision as to where was made yet. Then, a friend asked me to move to Florida with her...

I am terrified of the prospect of moving so far away from what has always been my home that I would have to drive over 14 hours to make it back to where my family is. I'm terrified of going someplace where I can't keep my current job, or apartment, and have no backup other than the friend I'd be moving with. No other friends, no family, no security.

I was reading back through my blog and came across my post "Today is the first day of the rest of your life" and it reminded me of one of the most important lessons we can learn in life...

Growth will not happen unless you step outside of your comfort zone. You must face your fear and do things that are uncomfortable. You have to wak the path that isn't easy to reap the rewards of learning more about yourself and the world. Sometimes you have to take a chance on life to get what you really want, even if you don't know yet what that is. I'm not saying this has convinced me to make the move, but I am going to make my decision about this move based on facts, not on fear. I wanted to change my life competely, to walk away from who I have been so I can become who I want to be. Thus far my life has been dictated by circumstance, and it is about time I make my own circumstances now matter how much it scares me to do so. Bottom line, the journey will make me stronger, no matter the outcome.

Courage is not a lack of fear, courage is doing what you have to do despite your fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment