Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Year of Self Discovery

Just a few weeks ago was the one year anniversary of the date I moved into my first solo apartment. Prior to then, I had never lived alone. What was initially scary ended up being one of the most blissfull, educational, and liberating times of my life.

I had so much time to myself, to literally do anything I pleased. A lot of my time was spent writing and journaling, but also playing video games, cooking for myself, and going out to spend time with friends and family. I also started to take naps, something I've never really done. I didn't have cable, so while I could watch movies I had no other use for my TV and sitting in front of it happened rarely. One of my favorite things to do was lay across my bed on a sunny afternoon, with my kitty curled up next to me as I wrote or read.

It was during this time that I began this blog, began journalling on paper, and took up shooting pool again. More importantly, I reexamined my life, where I came from and where I thought I was going. The biggest and best revelation was that nothing in the past mattered anymore, and I had no idea where the future was going to take me. My only option, every day of this past year, was to live for that day, and that day alone. I have ideas about the future and the past still enters my thoughts from time to time, but I feel like I'm finally beginning to live without limits.

Once I go through this change to minimalism, most of the few remaining limits will vanish. I'll no longer have the job requirements, living space requirements, and I won't have any excuses left to keep me from going anywhere I want.

More and more, every day, the future is wide open and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment